APC Forum

Case Formers

mikeee

I have been turning case formers for several years now and have set up a website to streamline

the process. I can turn 3" through 12" wood case formers and also turn 3/4" through 2" insert formers.

I have turned a number of different woods on request and also fabricate larger case formers on request

from hollow forms with wood veneers to keep the weight down.

http://mikeee12345.wix.com/case-formers

Thank You

Mike Johnson

The case formers that Paul Moulder made were works of art, he had access to some really nice woods in

Thailand when he was making them.

He was having a hard time finding quality wood billets the last couple years to make the formers he made over the years.

I have turned a few burl wood case formers which really look nice when they are finished.

Mike J.

http://mikeee12345.wix.com/case-formers

Edited by mikeee

I might look into buying a 2 1/2 inch former. Is shellac over boiled linseed oil an option? I love the way it looks on axe handles but I want the easy maintenance of shellac. Glad to see somebody still has the heart for making these.
  • Like 1

Jordan,

I do use boiled linseed oil and Shellac as my primary finish for case formers.

It is a good durable finish and it is easily repaired if damaged.

PM me your email address and I will send you some photos of some formers I have made.

I made a set of Cherry Case Formers for a gentleman in the Houston area earlier this year.

I usually make case formers from woods that the customer has a preference for.

Just let me know if you have a preference in wood type.

Maple is the most common wood used for case formers, finishes nicely with oil and shellac and is very stable.

A laminated wood billet provides a stable product for many years, I do turn solid billet formers in smaller sizes 3" & 4".

Anything larger than that it is difficult to source quality billets for turning larger pieces and still be a stable product in later years.

Thank You

Mike J.

http://mikeee12345.w...om/case-formers

Here is a 5.5" former for 6" shells he made for me with an opening for flash bags. The short handle makes it much easier to roll and pleat the shell casing. Now to pump some comets...

20140908_191450.jpg

Edited by nater

I'm glad someone is doing it, i couldn't get it done. (Sorry help)

• 10 months later...

Finished an 8" , 10" and 12" wood ball used for making round hemi shell casings on the Wasp & Hornet machines today.

Worked through the process for making hollow wood balls that can be nested inside each other, this will save on shipping costs and keep the weight down on the balls, I can ship a 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 wood balls in (1) 12" x 12" x 12" box.

If anyone is interested in a nested set of wood balls just let me know what kind of wood you would want.

post-11643-0-43269500-1437261320_thumb.jpg

Why buy a case former when you can use HDPE mortar tubes as your former? Lol.

I'm going to pretend that wizards comment didn't exist. Those look extremely nice mikeee

Because HDPE tubes are not always the size one wants for a former.

The solid end of a former with a recess for your spolette allows you to use a mallet to really set the folds of your casing.

The vents in a former help slip the casing off easier.

A former for even a medium sized shell is less awkward to handle than a full length mortar.

Of course if you don't want to spend the money or time on a dedicated former, you can certainly use whatever works. Pop cans work just fine for 3" cylinder shells. I also have some formers made from PVC. I have one made by Mikeee, it is quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to pretend that wizards comment didn't exist. Those look extremely nice mikeee

Lmao, okay.

Mikee. Could you make a shell pleating tool out of ebony by chance?

Tyron,

I have made a few of these this last year for several people, out of maple, walnut, hickory and oak.

Let me see if I can get a piece of ebony at a reasonable price.

The ones I make are a regular wood mallet with one side cut flat and sanded smooth and the opposite side is round.

This allows you to use the tool for other purposes.

post-11643-0-89016100-1438647782_thumb.jpg

post-11643-0-94887000-1438647825_thumb.jpg

I have a Wood Turners meeting next week so I turned a few more mallet/pleating tools.

Tyron, I looked for some Ebony billets and they are getting scarce, small pieces no problem, large pieces no. An ebony wood billet would cost over a $100.00 for the wood by itself, big enough for a small mallet.

post-11643-0-75079300-1439051757_thumb.jpg

Hey Mike. Email or PM me. Bcorso85@gmail.com

I'd like to know about insert formers, and 3 inch if you have them.

• 1 month later...

Found a new method for transferring photos and images onto wood surfaces.

I can now put a club logo or other desired image logo on a case former.

post-11643-0-15114000-1444709786_thumb.jpg

Finished some case formers today made one out of some Coffee tree wood which has a really nice color and grain and the wood is very hard and dense. The other ones are made from Maple wood and several of them have some tiger stripping and quilted wood grain.

post-11643-0-03520600-1445391653_thumb.jpg

post-11643-0-22884300-1445391683_thumb.jpg

Here is the timed report board, turned upside down load all the empty plug caps into the board, turn right side up and deposit your flash comp onto the surface of the flat board and use a playing card or credit card to sweep the flash compound across the board. When all of the plug caps are full you can tilt the board at an angle and tap on the board to empty some of the flash comp to allow room for your time fuse. You reach under the board and remove one timed report plug cap and glue and insert your time fuse into each one. This keeps your timed reports nice and clean and allows easy removal from the board without making a mess with the flash comp. Selecting the correct sized drill bit for the holes is a crap shoot, the cap plugs vary in outside diameter by several thousands, so it is a good idea to drill a row of holes over sized for the larger ones. I also step drilled the holes to ease in inserting the cap plugs into the holes, the top end of the hole is sized to hold the cap plug, while the bottom of the hole is over sized to ease the insertion of the cap plug. A tapered reamer would be the ideal solution for drilling the holes.

post-11643-0-82506600-1445703350_thumb.jpg

post-11643-0-42676900-1445703383_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeee

Here is the timed report board, turned upside down load all the empty plug caps into the board, turn right side up and deposit your flash comp onto the surface of the flat board and use a playing card or credit card to sweep the flash compound across the board. When all of the plug caps are full you can tilt the board at an angle and tap on the board to empty some of the flash comp to allow room for your time fuse. You reach under the board and remove one timed report plug cap and glue and insert your time fuse into each one. This keeps your timed reports nice and clean and allows easy removal from the board without making a mess with the flash comp. Selecting the correct sized drill bit for the holes is a crap shoot, the cap plugs vary in outside diameter by several thousands, so it is a good idea to drill a row of holes over sized for the larger ones. I also step drilled the holes to ease in inserting the cap plugs into the holes, the top end of the hole is sized to hold the cap plug, while the bottom of the hole is over sized to ease the insertion of the cap plug. A tapered reamer would be the ideal solution for drilling the holes.

attachicon.giftimed report 2.JPG

attachicon.giftimed report 3.JPG

Dam good idea.