APC Forum

Dragon Eggs (in)stability?

Ubehage

To the mods: If this post is in the wrong category, please delete it and punish me :D

I have tried searching, but did not find any threads covering this subject.

Making Dragon Eggs is, obviously, quite dangerous. The chemicals are toxic, and the mix is somewhat unstable. At least, that's what I read everywhere.

But when I watch videos of e.g. Ned Gorski, making DE, it looks like the mix is relatively stable. Again, at least, when the NC Lacquer is mixed in.

So can anyone help me clarify this?

Exactly, which dangers are present when making DE, compared to e.g. Flash?

Well the fumes from the acetone (NC lacquer) are quite flammable and can overcome a body should you inhale too much. Even in Ned Gorski's video, he does the DE outside instead of inside where he usually records tutorials He always advises doing any pyro activity outside with proper PPE.

As far as the DE comp, using red lead is quite toxic compared to bismuth subcarbonate. Again, proper PPE and doing comp mixing outside is advised.

I don't know if I'd really say that it's unstable exactly. They do have some issues however. There are some who believe that if you allow nitrate to soak into the DE cores, that it can ruin the effect. Whether it corrodes the metal, or simply kills the effect I'm not sure. If you read some opinions and articles from probably 10 years ago, you'll see some talk of coating DE with wax or deck sealer to prevent this.

The other issue, which is more applicable, is the sensitivity. Dragon eggs are relatively sensitive to mechanical shock. If you hit one with a hammer on a hard surface it will very likely go off. Treat them with respect, and everything will be fine. I tend to treat the powdered composition equal to flash. Once bound into eggs, it's generally going to be better, but it's best to use caution around them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for bringing it up Mumbles, i was wondering about the shock sensitivity last days... I'm planning on making some big crackling fountains but i guess ramming them ain't the brightest idea. But i'm not a fan of pressing fountains either... especially big ones.